This Year 8 Italian unit of work is designed to engage students through innovative use of technology, strategic use of High Impact Teaching Strategies and meaningful opportunities to learn and use Italian language. It is based on the Victorian Curriculum: Italian (7-12 pathway) and includes the unit planner and all teacher and student resources required for the 12 lesson sequence (15 resources in total).
In this unit, students work together to plan a celebration, discussing possible dates and times, as well as needs and preferences relating to food and drink, quantities required and making plans with friends. The unit culminates in a celebration of learning with a class ‘party’ which will allow students to share work created throughout the unit.
The 15 resources in this package include:
Italian Unit Planner - Year 8 Festeggiamo insieme
Unit Overview and Resources Powerpoint
Pre-test and Start of Unit Reflection
Class Survey Activity
Lesson 4 Pulse Check
Lesson 7 Pulse Check
Exit ticket - Verbi Modali
Exit ticket - Quantities
Glossary - Telling the time
Glossary - Grammatical Terms
Glossary - Party Food and Drinks
Glossary - Expression of Quantity
End of Unit Reflection and Self-Evaluation
Rubric - Oral Tasks
Rubric - Writing Tasks
- While the unit is presented as a 12-lesson sequence, the total number of lessons/weeks could be adjusted based on varying lesson lengths at different schools. There is flexibility for certain learning intentions/activities to be emphasised or extended, to respond to students’ needs for reinforcement of particular content or to explore areas of interest more deeply. Similarly, there is scope for students in need of extension to adopt an inquiry-based approach, allowing them to move beyond the key language presented in the unit.
- The unit planner is comprehensive and provides the HITS alongside the learning activities. It would also be a useful starting unit for Year 8 and a textbook alternative (as a way of organising your own units and moving away from coursebooks).
- The Teacher Powerpoint provides all the audio files and links to quizzes/Quizlet/videos in one place.
- The resources for student goal setting, reflection and exit slips/pulse checks give the students a starting point with the language they need to articulate their reflections.
- The glossary of grammatical terms is handy for students to stick in their books for reference.
- The range of activities and products are meaningful and engaging to students at this level.
- There is scope within this unit to revisit or consolidate concepts from Year 7.