This Year 8 French unit is designed to engage students through innovative use of technology, strategic use of High Impact Teaching Strategies and meaningful opportunities to learn and use French language.
It is based on the Victorian Curriculum: French (7-12 pathway) and includes the unit planner and all teacher and student resources required for the 12 lesson sequence (14 resources in total). In this unit, students work together to plan a celebration, discussing possible dates and times, as well as needs and preferences relating to food and drink and quantities required. They learn about the near future tense and use this to make plans with friends. The unit culminates in a celebration of learning, an individual or class ‘party’ which will allow students to share work created throughout the unit.
The package includes 14 resources, including Teacher Powerpoint:
- Unit Planner
- Teacher Powerpoint
- Pre-test and start of unit reflection
- Class survey
- Lesson 4 Pulse Check
- Lesson 7 Pulse Check
- Exit ticket - quantities
- Exit ticket - future proche
- Glossary - Grammatical elements
- Glossary - Party items
- Glossary - Telling the time
- End of Unit reflection
- Oral task rubric
- Writing task rubric
- The unit planner is comprehensive and provides the HITS alongside the learning activities. It would also be a useful starting unit for Year 8 and a textbook alternative (as away of organising your own units and moving away from coursebooks).
- The Teacher Powerpoint provides all the audio files and links to quizzes/Quizlet/videos in one place.
- The resources for student goal setting, reflection and exit slips/pulse checks give the students a starting point with the language they need to articulate their reflections.
- The glossary of grammatical terms is handy for students to stick in their books for reference.
- The range of activities and products are meaningful and engaging to students at this level.
- There is scope within this unit to revisit or consolidate concepts from Year 7.